Monday, April 12, 2010

Wild Sheep Chases

By Scott

Kathy and I've both read a novel by Haruki Murakami, titled "Wild Sheep Chase." It can be pretty bizarre. But it's title reminds me of what we've done a couple nights. Going on long, almos ridiculous night searches for "the" restaurant recommended by our guidebook. These are very frustrating but they do have some positive by-products. You get to know a neighborhood pretty well going around it in circles. And you meet some locals. Last night we had the entire staff of a Trek bicycle shop helping us look online for the restaurant, then finally telling us they believed the place no longer existed; then recommending another place. But we've vowed to do no more chases. They're crazy.

3 comments:

  1. Someone described Japan to me as a place of macro-ugliness and micro-beauty. After three visits I knew the description was dead-on. You will especially see that contrast in Kyoto.

    We love the blog....you might even put it together as a book for American tourists!

    Give Koji and Nobuko our love......Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also enjoyed your blog! And please give Koji and Nobuko my love as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love "The Wild Sheepchase" and all Murakami books !!!

    ReplyDelete